Thursday, April 12, 2012

Lamborghini Roadtrip!

Lamborghini Newport Beach customer, Glen Scheirer had taken his Gallardo over 2700 miles across the nation, most people would call this a road trip, but to Glen it was an experience to remember forever. It's rare to see a Lamborghini in person for many people, and extremely rare to see one driving on the road especially in the open wilderness! Glen had driven through CA, NV, AZ, UT, CO, KS, MO, IL, IN, OH, PA, MD and VA totaling close to three thousand miles! He says "People who buy these cars and put them in their living rooms with a velvet rope around are missing a joy in life." Please take a moment to read the rest of the story, we wanted to thank Glen for the awesome write up and the great photos! 

"I had promised my friends in Southern California for a few months that I would drive my Lamborghini (2005 Gallardo) from my home near Washington D.C. out to see them. Well the time had come. Fresh off of trips with the Gallardo to Atlanta and then San Antonio I was ready. Not much to pack as luggage space is somewhat limited, but plenty of room for my three week trip across the US.I left at about 1 PM on Memorial Day, traveled through VA, TN, AK, TX, NM, AZ and CA on just 4 roads (I-66, I-81, I-40 and I-15) for 2650 miles and arrived on Wednesday at 6:30pm. During the westward leg to the trip I met many participants of Rolling Thunder (gigantic motorcycle gathering in DC to Honor the MIAs of past wars) at rest stops along the route as they were motoring home. When you drive a Lamborghini it's easy to start a conversation so I had no trouble passing the time at my rest stops. Truly everybody I met was fascinated by the car's looks.  


Virtually no one had ever seen a Lamborghini in person. And pictures, pictures, pictures. Everyone wanted to take a photo of the car, all asking politely first, that is, those I could hear. There was a man who pulled up next to me on the right, lowered his window, put his elbow on the steering wheel and snapped a few shots, this all occurred at 75 MPH! Needless to say I pulled ahead before he hit me. People who worked at gasoline stores, restaurants and even rest areas would drop what they were doing and come take a photo. In the middle of the US Lamborghinis are indeed rare! During my stay of two weeks in California I did a few short drives including one to Newport Beach and one to Malibu. 


 The Newport Beach drive was to find the Lamborghini store so I could assess/replace my rear tires which had about 12k miles on them. I knew the owner of the Lambo store in Washington also owned several stores in So Cal. I did find the store and I was welcomed by a fabulous staff, both at the sales store and the maintenance shop. Before I knew it I had new rear tires (courtesy of Grant Johnson) and a test drive in a  Gallardo Spyder (courtesy of Pietro Frigerio). On the way to Malibu I stopped for a few moments at Venice Beach, one of my favorite SoCal spots.  


"Driving back from Malibu to Corona (where I was staying) I followed Sunset Blvd, then drove up and down Rodeo Drive before getting into Hollywood. I will say that I did have to stop and admire a car on Rodeo Drive. For my first time ever I saw a Buggati Veyron, Black and Gold, quite a car. Strangely while I stopped to look at the Veyron people walking down Rodeo were taking pictures of my Lamborghini. Sadly all good things finally end but for me the trip home would be fun. Leaving on Monday, I started up I-15. The eastbound leg of the trip had basically just 2 roads: I-15 and I-70. This routing is a bit more scenic than the I-40 route. The states passed through are CA, NV, AZ, UT, CO, KS, MO, IL, IN, OH, PA, MD and VA.  


2700 miles later I arrive back home at 1:00 PM on Wednesday. Similarly to the westbound journey the eastward ride was filled with pleasant people all eager to take a photo of my Lambo. A few words about the car. The drive was effortless; the car performed flawlessly; the gas mileage was 18.6 miles per gallon; I was even able to take off my shoes and sleep in the vehicle at rest stops, a very remarkable auto.  

The comments I received from people who knew the car where mostly how surprised they were that I'm driving it this far. They would say the they've never seen an exotic car more than 10 miles from it's home. This is certainly sad. The Gallardo was meant to be driven and as a work of art to be seen by as many people as possible. It is extremely exciting to drive and that doesn't go away in 100, 500 or 5000 miles of driving.  People who buy these cars and put them in their living rooms with a velvet rope around are missing a joy in life."

We wanted to thank Glen for the awesome write up and the great photographs, it's great to see customers actually driving their cars and getting them out in the open. We hope to see more drivers like Glen!

No comments:

Post a Comment